NAMI In Our Own Voice
NAMI In Our Own Voice presentations change attitudes, assumptions and stereotypes about people with mental health conditions. These free, 40-, 60- or 90-minute presentations provide a personal perspective of mental illness, as presenters with lived experience talk openly about what it's like to live with a mental health condition.
Our trained presenters humanize the misunderstood, highly stigmatized topic of mental illness by showing that it's possible—and common—to live well with a mental health condition. This presentation also provides:
- A chance to ask presenters questions, allowing for a deeper understanding of mental health conditions and dispelling of stereotypes and misconceptions.
- The understanding that every person with a mental health condition can hope for a brighter future.
- Information on how to learn more about mental health and get involved with the mental health community.
What People Are Saying
- “Amazing presentation with amazing presenters! You 100% erased any stigma I used to associate with mental illness.”
- “Several of the mental health staff stated that they saw recovery as a real option—for the first time ever.”
- “Presenting this program is the single most effective thing I am doing to maintain my mental health. Time after time, I see the audience respond with curiosity and interest. I know I am changing the face of mental illness and that I have transformed my pain into the power to make a difference.”
Schedule or Attend a Presentation
If you would like to host or attend a NAMI In Our Own Voice presentation, contact your local NAMI. If the presentation isn’t available, ask to bring it to your community.
A Spanish-language version of NAMI In Our Own Voice, En Nuestra Propia Voz de NAMI, is available in a limited number of states.